English Instructional Leader
English is important for helping you appreciate diversity, develop sensitivity and, perhaps most importantly, contribute to your future by crafting your writing and critical thinking.
In the English Domain, we foster an appreciation for a wide variety of texts and empower you to develop your own interpretations of the texts we study. You interpret, create, evaluate, discuss and perform a wide range of literary texts in which the primary purpose is aesthetic, as well as texts designed to inform and persuade. These include various types of media texts, including newspapers, film and digital texts, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, dramatic performances and many others.
From 2023, all Year 11 VCE students will be enrolled in Core English as their compulsory English subject. Literature and English Language remain open to students to select, but will become elective subjects.
- How does the Australian media influence their audience through words and images?
- Present your opinion on a contemporary issue in a short speech
- Study texts, memoirs, film and the media
Subject Code: V2EEN
Year Level: 12
There are two areas of study for each unit: Reading and Creating Texts and Analysing and Presenting Arguments.
- You produce an analytical interpretation of a selected text, and a creative response to a different selected text
- We analyse and compare the use of argument and persuasive language in texts that present a point of view on an issue
- You produce a detailed comparison which analyses how two selected texts present ideas, issues and themes
- You construct a sustained and reasoned point of view on an issue currently debated in the media
What does this mean for me?
We build on the activities undertaken in Unit 1 and 2. You also compare the way two selected texts present ideas, issues and themes.
- Text essays
- Creative writing
- Oral presentations
- Expository writing
- Comparative response
What sort of student would like English?
- Enjoys reading, responding in writing and discussing ideas
- Is interested in examining current affairs and the role the media plays in our society
- Likes to work with ideas, to think creatively and write extended responses.
Year 10: Standard English, Intro to English Language or Intro to Literature.
Year 11: English Units 1-2, English Language 1-2, Literature 1-2
VCE VM Literacy 3-4
- Build confidence in your reading, writing and oral communication skills
- Read and create ‘real word’ texts
- Become a savvy consumer of persuasive texts
Subject Code: V4ELI
Year Level: 12
- Locate, read and understand informational, organisation and procedural texts
- Create workplace documents
- Explore the way different organisations, groups, and businesses develop their own use of language
- Learn about using language for advocacy
- Produce a range of texts for the promotion of self, a product or community group
- Negotiate a topic for a major oral presentation
- Will incorporate classroom learning tasks as well as major assignments
- May include collections of annotations and summaries, vlogs, blogs or other digital texts, case studies, or reflective journals
VCE VM Students can undertake VCE English as an alternative to this subject (with English Learning Leader approval)